Monday, January 5, 2009

The awesomest let down

Sorry to disappoint you all today.
We didn't get the expected photographs of the baby today. It turns out that we weren't even going to get an ultrasound today!! It didn't matter because we were late.
It all got started when I got stuck in a class and didn't make it home to pick up Jen for our first appointment with the nurse practicioner. She finally decided to drive herself at the same time I left work. No problem! We both had half an hour to get there. The island is not THAT big, right?
WRONG!
The onramp to the highway was closed for her due to an accident. Then, the only entrance to Tripler Army Medical Center (the only military hospital on the island) was down to one lane due to road construction. Add up all the delays, the packed parking lot, the Valet Parking that closed only minutes before her arrival, and her 13 mile journey, 20 minute drive took her an hour.

Tripler AMC has a policy that if you're more than 15 minutes late, your appointment gets cancelled. For the first time in my life, I got a little snippy with the customer service. No provision is made for situations like ours where the hospital is part of the problem and they still expect you to abide by their policy.
Thankfully, I didn't act on all of the viscious, nasty things that ran through my head, but I'm still shocked at the transformation that is happening with us. As my patience gets shorter, her's gets longer.

Anyway, our next appointment is Friday where we get the full pregnancy physical. Still no pictures unless they feel they need to do an ultrasound for some reason. We only get one ultrasound as part of normal routine, so we have to wait another 8 weeks.

All the buildup and excitement for the dis-appointment.
The awesomest part of the day though started with us actually talking to the nurse-practicioner. She said that Jen needs to drink more water and that pseudoephedrine and tylenol are okay for her sinus headaches. She also got some zofran for nausea, so all that should make her feel a little better.

Oh yeah, and we got to hear the baby's heartbeat!!!
:) :) :) :) :)
Cardiac function verified!

I didn't get a hard count on the heart rate because I was holding Jen's radial pulse while listening to the baby's heartbeat and a plant was in the way of the clock.
I did see a couple of seconds go by and got a general idea.
It was somewhere around 150-160.

:) :) :) :) :)

16,860,000 seconds to go!!!
30.3% baby!

3 comments:

  1. 150-160...sounds like a girl ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys ... I'm a little late in figuring out your AWESOME news! Congratulations! Our family is excited for you. Jen - I'll be praying that you feel better soon. I really struggled with Grady ... but it was all worth it at the end.:-) Miss you guys!
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I was so excited when I read Jen's email I ran in and woke a semi-asleep Jason to tell him. He sends his best too. I can't wait to tell the girls, they'll be so excited. Oh, and if those allergy stuff doesn't work, my last ob did say I could take benedryl (which really made my nausea w/Ayden disappear so I think a lot of my problems w/Arwen was allergy related) since I had been taking it. He said there was no proof that it would harm the baby from any study done.
    Now I have a totally awesome reason to visit!!!!
    I am so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete